I posted this on Twitter this morning, because I believe it’s good advice, but about 1 in 20 or so replies accused me of being selfish or narcissistic, or — worst of all — an Objectivist.
I’m not a big fan of getting into “Someone is wrong on the Interent,” but I wanted to clarify a little bit in a way that Twitter does not allow.
What I get out of this quote is this: if there is a toxic person in your life who does nothing but bring you down and hurt you, then you should respect yourself enough to remove that person from your life. Life is too short to maintain toxic and negative relationships.
This doesn’t mean that you don’t make an effort to work on building and maintaining positive, healthy, fulfilling relationships. It doesn’t mean that you don’t make an effort to be kind and generous and just take take take. It means that if you’re constantly “making up” or something like that with a person, you’re not in a healthy, fulfilling relationship. You’re in a toxic relationship, and time you spend maintaining toxic relationships is time wasted that could be spent — invested — into relationships that bring you joy and make you a better person.
Know and recognize the difference between healthy and toxic relationships, positive and negative people, and respect — and love — yourself enough to choose the ones that make you happy and inspire you to grow as much as you possibly can. People who drag you down because it makes them feel better about themselves are not worth your time.
Where I think people may have interpreted this as selfish or narcissistic is in the clumsy wording of people or activities “serving” you. I’d take people out of that portion of the advice and apply it directly to the forehead.
Or, you know, just apply it to the “activities” part and think about where you’re investing your time and energy — your most precious and limited resource — and what yo’ure getting back from it.
Mostly, though, this quote encapsulates advice I’ve given my children and applied to my own life: respect yourself enough to leave a romantic or platonic or business relationship that is causing you more harm than good. To borrow a quote from Green Day: “You can’t go forcing something if it’s just not right.”
- jooooooolia likes this
- soisserieuse likes this
- napoleanbonerfart reblogged this from wilwheaton
- animatingarticulation reblogged this from laurajdt
- undeniablycantankerous reblogged this from myheartbeatsadifferentbeat
- craigmac1989 likes this
- panyav reblogged this from wilwheaton
- zarnismes reblogged this from mattjustmatt
- ponytoes reblogged this from wilwheaton
- limewedgie likes this
- serenity-beginswitha-smile reblogged this from wilwheaton
- hereiamstandingonmyown likes this
- mythopoetical likes this
- jessicaam likes this
- iamacollectionofmiscellanyandtea likes this
- aclrs likes this
- honey-punch reblogged this from little-veganite
- little-veganite reblogged this from littleaug
- the-connar-child reblogged this from littleaug
- the-connar-child likes this
- teachmehowtocatdance likes this
- itslikethatfrenchthing likes this
- littleaug likes this
- izzayyyy reblogged this from kaeandlucy
- wuvandkissez reblogged this from kaeandlucy
- casshat reblogged this from i-am-hiddlest0ned
- chrispol likes this
- thetenfootlongscarf reblogged this from wilwheaton
- princesspr72 reblogged this from cyrendivine
- princesspr72 likes this
- biggirlbigdreams reblogged this from cyrendivine
- cyrendivine reblogged this from feminist-ink
- stillarobyn reblogged this from wilwheaton
- freshdandelion reblogged this from wilwheaton
- vrch likes this
- tanglehymn reblogged this from wilwheaton
- anisaer likes this
- nezartdesign likes this
- videre-licet reblogged this from leekfixer
- videre-licet likes this
- saidreadheard reblogged this from wilwheaton
- inarticulate-hangover likes this
- drunnni likes this
- ayacakes reblogged this from myjuliette
- makura-no-soushi reblogged this from wilwheaton and added:
- beauty-of-the-teenage-mind reblogged this from freespiritreveries
- beauty-of-the-teenage-mind likes this
- freespiritreveries reblogged this from musicallycece
- samihopeful likes this
- dreamofbecoming reblogged this from wilwheaton